[Gllug] recovering files from USB flash drive

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Sep 8 14:51:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 12:51 +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear J F,
>
> I had exactly this problem with a 512 MB Fujifilm xD Picture
> Card containing some 200 holiday snaps.  None of the free
> utilities I located on the web would even look at the card.
> I sent the card to Fuji and they recovered the JPEGs for me
> at a cost of 40 GBP!

I have a FujiFilm camera which will take both Compact Flash and xD
cards.  They seem to have included the Compact Flash slot in response to
demand, but then they don't want you to use it.  The manual includes odd
warnings that, "Some Compact Flash cards may not work" and the FAQ on
their website includes a question about batteries going flat even with
the camera switched off.  The answer says that this may happen if you
use CF cards.

Personally I think it's all FUD, and since all they provide with the
camera is a 16M xD card (not a lot of use on a 6 megapixel camera -
about enough for 8 photos) I use entirely CF.  Stories like Mick's above
make me even less included to use xD.  At least with CF I stand a
sporting chance of being able to do data retrieval without paying Fuji
large amounts of money.

Apart from the xD/CF controversy though, I'm very pleased with Fuji.
When my camera needed repair they not only did it very quickly and for
free, they even sent it back with a note of apology.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk