[Gllug] Letting Bohcs, UML or vmware have direct access to a PCI card or a SCSI device (not disk).

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Sep 16 18:35:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Ian Norton-Badrul announced authoritatively:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 01:42:12PM +0100, Nix wrote:
>> I hope that direct access to a SCSI device isn't possible, because given
>> that it's quite easy to access *any* SCSI device on the bus, and also to
>> completely violate system security (think `command a DMA into kernel
>> memory').
>
> AFAIK Direct scsi access to a device is possible if you put another
> controller on the bus (bus arbitration), im talking to synchronous scsi
> hardware so there would be no issues as with sharing a disk for
> example.

As long as it can't do anything like DMA (to be more precise, as long as
it can't do bulk transfers to user-specified addresses in main system
memory, avoiding the CPU), you're safe. But if it can't do DMA, it's
probably *slow*.

--
`One cannot, after all, be expected to read every single word
 of a book whose author one wishes to insult.' --- Richard Dawkins
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk