[Gllug] initrd images & building 2.6.x kernels

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Sep 11 15:39:54 UTC 2005

Sarah Ewen skrev:
> I'm pretty sure I need an initrd img, particularly as I'm trying to
> build the suspend2 patch on it, and need all my ide support as modules,
> as far as I'm aware.

initrds are seriously ugly hacks that really only have one practical
use: bootstrapping an installation and getting your system up and running.

If you're building custom kernels then you almost certainly don't need
(or want) to be using an initrd.

IMO, if your hardware really _really_ requires modular drivers then you
picked the wrong hardware.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk