[Gllug] is KMAIL a good enough client for gllug?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Sep 9 07:53:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 08:31 +0100, Steve Nelson wrote:
> On 9/8/05, paul <paul at thinksolution.net> wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 September 2005 16:31, Nix wrote:
> > >. I went through my graphics-freak
> > > ooh-look-it's-GUI-it-must-be-cool phase when I was about fifteen

I'll speak up in favour of text-based email clients.

I often work on customer sites, where I have ssh access 'back to base'.
Only yesterday, I needed to set up email forwarding for temperature
alert emails from cluster hosts inside a Beowulf cluster. I needed to
see if email was being received at an external address.

Also text-mode clients span generations of systems.
I used Pine for years on VAX/VMS and many Unix systems I worked on -
SunOS, HPUX, Irix.

I now admit to using Evolution, partly because Pine has licensing issues
which mean it doesn't ship by default with Linux
(again, the Scientific Linux types package Pine for their distro because
so many high energy physicists use it).

Returning to my point, if you get used to one email tool it will stay
with you for years as systems are retired and operating systems change.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk