[Gllug] Looking for a printer recommendation

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Sep 4 22:15:20 UTC 2005

For some years I've been using an HP OfficeJet printer/scanner.  It
has dodgy but workable drivers for the Mac, and works OK under Linux.
But by far the best "feature" was that my flatmate's company paid for
all the paper and ink supplies and so I didn't get price-gouged with
the usual HP ink scam.

Sadly this era is coming to an end, and I'm going to have to buy my
own printer and supplies.  So what I'm looking for is a printer (don't
much care about a scanner) which works well under Linux, and is made
by a company which doesn't generate most of its revenue from selling
expensive ink.

Now I have no real idea about printers.  Inkjets are slow and
expensive to run.  Does this afflict all makes of inkjet?  Last time I
looked seriously at laser printers they all cost thousands of pounds
and couldn't print in colour - well, that was 20 years ago.  I had a
quick look on Google, and it looks like colour laser printers are a
little bit cheaper now.  Are there any which are cheap to run, even if
expensive to buy?  And not made by companies like HP which like to
advertise how many patent monopolies they've been granted?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk