[Gllug] initrd images & building 2.6.x kernels

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Sep 14 15:06:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Mike Brodbelt mused:
> Nix wrote:
>> ... and running a root filesystem on RAID or LVM.
>
> Pedantic point, but root RAID doesn't need an initrd. If the member
> partitions of the arrays are set to type 0xfd, and the kernel is built
> with RAID support and RAID autostart compiled in,

Ooo. Nice. Last I looked at it it needed userspace help to boot, but
obviously this is no longer true (I guess that's what `RAID autostart'
is, but I can't immediately see such an option in the Linux kernel
config; perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place).

> LILO and GRUB will both happily boot a kernel from a RAID1 these days as
> well.

But not a RAID5? Damn. :/

--
`One cannot, after all, be expected to read every single word
 of a book whose author one wishes to insult.' --- Richard Dawkins
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk