[Gllug] SANs

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Sep 29 15:57:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 10:28 +0100, Steve Sims wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> I've just been introduced to this list by a friend of mine who tells
> me that there's plenty of knowledgable sys admins on this list who
> might be able to lend me some advice.

I would go to the upcoming Storage Expo and tour the stands.
http://www.storage-expo.com/

Fibre-channel based SANs aren't the only way to go these days,
though that's the tried-and-tested route.
I've been involved with two mediumsized setups, using Linux boxen,
LSI logic cards, brocade switches and Infortrend arrays.

There's also of course Infiniband (the list knows my enthusiasm here!)
There are arrays now available with native Infiniband, but I can't
imagine these will be cheap.

I recently had a tour round the machine room at Birkbeck, where they
have a new SAN box which uses iSCSI.
>From DotHill IIRC  http://www.dothill.com

RAID  are coming out now with iSCSI
http://www.infortrend.com/main/2_product/a12e-g2121.asp
We sell lots of Infortrend arrays.

There is also ATA-over-Ethernet at the lower end of the market.

I would talk to DotHill at the Storage Expo for a start.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk