[Gllug] Blown mobo?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 17:49:54 UTC 2005

On Thu 22 Sep, John Hearns wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 14:24 +0000, SteveC wrote:
> > Hello everyone.
> >

> > So I need to get a new base unit of some type but didn't want to give up
> > on this just yet. Was thinking of buying a cheap PC2100 stick off ebay
> > as an attempt to test the thing but it all seems a bit silly.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to test the memory? Anyone willing to put said memory
> I have an old motherboard which you can have.
> Are you going to either UKUUG or Planetarium tonight?

> (IIRC this mobo has a BIOS password set, which is why I never did
> anything with it)

   Can the BIOS complete with password be reset by either removing the
battery for a few minutes or shorting a dedicated link on the motherboard?
Take a note of the settings first, and then select the standard setups as
required.
   I have discovered that some motherboards drive memory at well over
specification by testing with memtest86, provided on recent copies of the
Knoppix CD.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk