[Gllug] Treats for Windows refugees

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Sep 5 09:51:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 10:32 +0100, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> Some friends of mine have seen the light and are trying out Linux. I'm
> trying to remember things that came as pleasant surprises when I started
> using Linux, and invite anyone to chip in with their own.
>
> I'm not talking about the big benefits, like security, flexibility,
> freedom, more the little things they can try out and enjoy:
>
> - symlinks

Piping the output of one command into another?

Quickest example which springs to mind for a decent demo is
the PBM tools.
Install ImageMagick, then go to a directory which has e.g. a set
of digital photographs.
List all the files, cat them through a few filters to (say) convert
them to black and white, scale, then convert to PDF.
Then alter the last command, convert to Postscript (whatever) and
print them off.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk