[Gllug] Weird network behaviour

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Apr 20 12:42:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 13:21 +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> This one is baffling me.
>
> I have a box at work with a 40MB email waiting for me. Fetchmail is
> downloading it at the rate of one small burst of data every 30s or more.
>
> The setup is: laptop -> wireless -> router -> adsl -> internet -> adsl
> -> router -> ethernet ->server
>
> When I ping the server, i suddenly get almost continuous transmission of
> data to fetchmail.
>
> Typical ping output:
> 64 bytes from 84.45.206.219: icmp_seq=139 ttl=54 time=1018.5 ms

I have seen symptoms like that in the past for various reasons.  One
vague recollection - if two machines think they have the same IP address
you can end up with ARP wars and half your packets going to the wrong
place.  The regular pings then keep setting the ARP cache back to your
address and the data flows.

As I say, it was a long time ago and it's a bit hazy, but it was
something like that.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk