[Gllug] Source for quality 24/7-duty cycle SATA drives?

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Apr 18 13:41:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Richard Jones wrote:

>Does anyone know where we can source good quality SATA drives for a
>server?  We tried using some basic desktop drives (two Maxtor
>DiamondMax 10's), but one failed after barely a month of use.  Time to
>chuck those away and buy some real disks ...

Buy something designed for 24/7. WD Raptor drives are designed as cheaper
than SCSI 24/7 drives. And if you pay top whack, you'll even get yourself
a nice window into the drive:)

The 10K drives all follow similar physical formats for long life and high
performance. One notable attribute shared by drives like this is the
spindle being attached at both ends, ie. top and bottom. This generally
isn't the case with consumer SATA drives.

As a bonus, you'll also get the performance benefits of a 10K drive. Just
make sure you have a decent cooling system.

--
    /"\
    / \
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk