[Gllug] Source for quality 24/7-duty cycle SATA drives?

Grzegorz Jaskiewicz gj at pointblue.com.pl
Wed Apr 12 13:03:02 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 14:11, Chris Bell wrote:
>    It would be nice if someone could answer the original question rather
> than throwing in the usual comments about SCSI. Or perhaps there is no
> correct answer? I do use SCSI in some computers, but even then it seems
> that three SCSI drives purchased a while ago came from a faulty batch.
it is in the very nature of harddrives to fail from time to time. My guess
would be to get twice as much HDs and put them in Raid1, or simply to "burn"
the hardware before using it in production. Setting up quite intensive tasks
on HDs for a week or two will clearly show the quality.
In process of setting up new servers for my clients, I always advice to "burn
test" them before putting in production environment. Sometimes few days is
enough, sometimes you need more time.

Where is about certain manufacturer, WD discs never failed me, and I do even
have few sata drives from them.

--
GJ

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. - Voltaire
(1694 - 1778)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk