[Gllug] Source for quality 24/7-duty cycle SATA drives?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Apr 15 13:55:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Grzegorz Jaskiewicz suggested tentatively:
> it is in the very nature of harddrives to fail from time to time. My guess
> would be to get twice as much HDs and put them in Raid1

Unless you're expecting many disks to fail at the same time, or have trouble
sourcing spare drives, RAID-5 should do. (At least, it has for me.)

Of course if you lose a drive, back up, in case you *do* lose another drive
while you're adding the new one (or during resync).

--
`On a scale of 1-10, X's "brokenness rating" is 1.1, but that's only
 because bringing Windows into the picture rescaled "brokenness" by
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk