[Gllug] Chinese Virus Warning?

Ian Lewis ian.lewis at dlf.org.uk
Thu Apr 6 09:44:48 UTC 2006

> Hello All,
>
> One my clients has received a confidential warning of a new e-mail
> borne electronic attack emanating from China. The warning came from a
> confidential Government briefing, so the client has been unable to
> share any further details.
>
> The warning talks of a rise in trojan type attacks by e-mail.
>
> Has anyone else heard anything along these lines?
Often.

All emails of this type from 'authoritative' sources should be treated with a
degree of scepticism. At the very least a web search should be done to find
out more about the subject of the email.

You'll often find this kind of email mentioned on The Register and most of
the major AV vendors will have recorded it as a hoax.

Of course you've done the right thing by asking here.

Cheers,
Ian
--
Ian Lewis
Systems Administrator
Email: ian.lewis at dlf.org.uk

--
Mail leaving and entering the Disabled Living Foundation is scanned for known viruses.
Ensure your own virus definitions are up to date to reduce the chances of infection.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk