[Gllug] Request for Help with Community Project - Installing and Supporting Edubuntu (Linux) in Youth Centre

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Apr 26 04:00:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 19:39 +0100, Chris Ebenezer wrote:
> On 4/25/06, Dan Stevens (IAmAI) <dan.stevens.iamai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > From my experience of Ubuntu, it automatically checks for updates and
> > notifies you with an icon. All one has to do is click the icon, and
> > then click the update button in the dialog and Ubuntu downloads and
> > installs the updates automatically. Pretty much as simple as you can
> > get, other than it automatically downloading and installing the
> > updates with informing the user at all!
>
> I believe that only works if  you logged in as the user added during
> the login process as 'the user who will normally use this machine' -
> so just train her to log in once a day and click away.

Not quite. You need to be logged in as someone who has the ability to
run the command under sudo. Yes, the first user created has this
ability. But subsequent users can do to. You can create new users under
the System --> Administration --> Users & Groups application. This
allows you to specify the type of user "Desktop" or "Administrator" for
example.

> Alternatively use a cron job and assume thet ubuntu's testing is
> reasonably rocket proof :-)

Indeed. I have a script which sets http_proxy then does an update and a
dist-upgrade, but only does "-d" with the dist-upgrade so it just
downloads but doesn't apply the updates. That way clicking the "update
notifier" icon results in very quick application of updates.

Also if you've got lots of machines you might want to put in an
apt-proxy or even a squid proxy (with dansguardian to filter out the
nasties) and have all the apt configs point to the proxy (or use
transparent proxying to force it) so that you conserve bandwidth when
updates come out.

Cheers,
Al.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk