[Gllug] Stop apt-get fretting about packages installed by force

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Tue Apr 18 07:48:34 UTC 2006

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> A recent dist-upgrade led to the emacs package I use being removed
> because it depends on the wrong version of libc6. So I used "dpkg
> --force-depends" to reinstall it and have had no problems with emacs.
> Installing new packages with apt-get, however, just gets me:
>
>         You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these.
>         The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>           emacs-multi-tty-bin-common: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but
>         2.3.6-0ubuntu17 is installed
>           emacs-multi-tty-nox: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but
>         2.3.6-0ubuntu17 is installed
>
> Is there any way to tell apt-get to just f...forget about those two
> packages?

Not really. Are you mixing distributions? Can you post your
/etc/apt/sources.list, /etc/apt/apt.conf and /etc/apt/preferences files,
please? (you may not have some of them, that's normal).

Also, can you post the output of "apt-cache policy foo" where foo is
each of emacs, emacs-multi-tty-bin-common, emacs-multi-tty-nox, libc6?

Thanks,
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk