[Gllug] Asterisk

budgester at budgester.com budgester at budgester.com
Tue Apr 4 14:13:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 03:29:55PM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> On 04/04/06, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 13:39 +0000, SteveC wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > o...k
> > >
> > If you want to interface Asterisk to a POTS telephone line then you need
> > an interface card like a TDM400P, which lets you physically connect the
> > line (indeed, up to 4 lines) to your computer.  There are also some
> > single line cards apparently, but I don't have any experience of them.
> >
> Hmm what would I need then to run 44 lines and about the same number
> of IP phones then.... Thinking of setting up just such one system, (If
> its possible and reliable)

Depends how your lines are provided, I would hope that if you have 44
lines coming into a single building then it would be some sort or
PRI(ISDN30/DAS2) line.

In which case you would need one of the Digium cards for PRI lines.

Check out the hardware page on the asterisk site.

44 IP phones, your usual structured cabling and a server beefy enough to
handle all of the relevant traffic.

Regards

Martin Stevens

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk