[Gllug] Linux Desktop PC for 150 quid (Not ADV)

Paul Rayner paul at ylemsolutions.com
Wed Apr 12 16:14:48 UTC 2006

On 12 Apr 2006, at 17:37, Russell Howe wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 03:33:31PM +0100, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Anyone looking for cheap Linux desktops PC?

>> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=89079
>> Celeron-D 315 2.26GHz 256MB 40GB CD LAN LINUX + OOo

I bought 2 of these ebuyer machines back in November.

>> Doesn't say which distro but it's about £50 cheaper than the
>> equivalent
>> Windows tax machine from the same place.

One came with no OS, but a SuSE 9 CD set, and the other had a version
of Mandriva. Both now run FC4, and have been on pretty much 24/7 since
November. One of them now has a DVB cart and a TDM400 card, and an
extra 256mb ram, and happily runs Asterisk and MythTV, and 2 160gb USB2
drives.

> Not much mention of monitors on the specs for the PCs, which could
> almost double the price.

They don't come with screens.

> Still, it's nice to see them listed.

True, even if most of the user comments (at least when I looked) are
along the lines of

"Great cheap PC. I've put Windows on it and it works fine."

> --
> Russell Howe       | Why be just another cog in the machine,
> rhowe at siksai.co.uk | when you can be the spanner in the works?
> --

Paul Rayner
Ylem Solutions Ltd ~  4-14 Tabernacle Street, London. EC2A 4LU
Office: 020 7074 0220 ~ Mobile: 07739 143 763 ~
Paul.Rayner at YlemSolutions.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk