[Gllug] OT: unix on windows

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 16:49:55 UTC 2006

On 4/17/06, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
> Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> > thanks for the pointer. Checking out the hummingbird site it looks
> > useful but it costs! I won't be starting to ask for extra s/w yet for
> > fear of being labelled a pain. I may download the demo though, out of
> > curiosity.
>
> Cygwin can do the exact same thing as hummingbird but for free.

Indeed.  However, my experience of the kinds of place where corporate
windows machines are imposed on staff suggests that the IT departments
are generally skeptical about Cygwin, as something they can't or won't
support.  Hummingbird is seen as a professional, supported/supportable
product, and so is a safe bet.  That said, I think Ben had originally
said he'd put Cygwin on his machine already, so this may be a good
option!

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk