[Gllug] cdrom writing

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Apr 2 18:40:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 06:53:07PM +0100, Peter wrote:
> Error trying to open /dev/hda exclusively (Device or resource busy)...
> retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hda exclusively (Device or resource busy)...
> retrying in 1 second.
> cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hda'. Cannot open
> SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> cdrecord:
> cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
> cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
>
> Which means nothing to me and I don't think it helps.

It should help if you stop and think about it for a minute.  cdrecord is
having a problem with /dev/hda and not getting passed that.  It could
simply be that you aren't in the right group to have access to these
devices, in which case you could try running the command as root.  You
could also just try going straight to the hdc device.  I think hdc would
be ATA:3,0,0.  Some versions of cdrecord even support (undocumented)
giving /dev/hdc as the name.

One thing to check: if you were using cdrecord under 2.4, you may have
been using the ide-scsi module to access the CD device (cdrecord under
2.4 works better with this than with its own dodgy direct ATAPI
support).  Don't use ide-scsi under 2.6; it is deprecated and there is
better kernel ATA support that cdrecord can use directly.

--
Bruce

Explota!: miles de lemmings no pueden estar equivocados.