[Gllug] Source for quality 24/7-duty cycle SATA drives?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 20:09:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 12:31 +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know where we can source good quality SATA drives for a
> > server?  We tried using some basic desktop drives (two Maxtor
> > DiamondMax 10's), but one failed after barely a month of use.  Time to
> > chuck those away and buy some real disks ...
>
> How on earth did you get so confused as to use quality and Maxtor in the
> same sentence?

I've bought Maxtor for years (they used to be Quantum), and had few
problems. I've stuck mostly to their SCSI disks, but the Atlas range has
been very good. As it happens, I recently bought a couple of Maxtor SATA
drives, and having looked at the spec sheet for the DiamondMax, it was
fairly clear that they're not aimed at always on systems. If you want
24/7, you should buy the MaXLine series, which have a 5 year warranty,
and a published MTBF, unlike the DiamondMax ones.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk