[Gllug] OT - chip & pin

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 09:55:26 UTC 2006

On Friday I filled up my car at Tesco.
When it came to pay they would not let me put my card into the chip'n'pin machine
that had the numeric keypad attached, instead they put it into their till keyboard
& then asked me to enter my number onto the numeric keypad.

I refused to do this on the grounds that the chip'n'pin machine was validated,
having my pin go over some cable that went where I knew not and then to my
card was not secure since it is possible that the pin could have been read through
a tampered cable or something. There was much 'this is what personnel says that I
must do' from the tesco employee - I paid cash & left saying that I would not buy
anything from tesco again.

Was I being paranoid ?

--
Alain Williams