[Gllug] emails & helo

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 16 11:12:58 UTC 2006

Hello,
   I am allocated a single fixed IP address, but have a small local network
behind a masquerade firewall, none of which needs to be (and it should not
be) directly accessible from the internet. It includes a local mailserver
which I would like to re-write headers on outgoing mail to

username at MyOfficialDomain.MyISP

with a helo response of either

MyOfficialDomain.MyISP

or

MyMailserver.MyOfficialDomain.MyISP

   The bit that fails is the helo response; instead Exim4 gives the helo

MyMailserver.MyLocalDomain

   I am running a local BIND9 DNS server for MyLocalDomain, and one way that
I see of getting around this is to configure MyMailserver as though it is in
the domain MyOfficialDomain.MyISP, then list that box with an A record in
the local /db.MyOfficialDomain.MyISP plus a CNAME in /db.MyLocalDomain and a
corresponding PTR in /db.192.168.XXX (my local network address range) to
MyMailserver.MyOfficialDomain.MyISP.
   I would hope that this would just work, and preserve the normal gateway
and broadcast addresses, but would this be an approved, acceptable way, or
should I create another local network called MyOfficialDomain.MyISP with its
own (private) address range? MyMailserver collects incoming mail using POP3
and does not expect to receive incoming SMTP, outgoing mail is routed via
the SmartHost at my ISP by SMTP.
   Or is there something else I should do instead?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk