[Gllug] re: USA / civil liberties etc

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 08:11:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 07:51:56AM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:

> There are very good reasons to limit the amount of information the state
> (or anyone, for that matter) can hold. We're already moving further and
> further towards a totalitarian state - albeit a more subtle form than
> those seen in much of europe in the last century (at the moment). If the
> state has sufficient information it will be practically impossible for
> any innocent group targetted by the state to escape.

Or group that some civil servant takes a dislike to for real or imagined reasons.
These people often wield a lot of power and are, to all intents and purposes, unaccountable.
A very public version of this was the McCarthyism 50 years ago in the USA.
They end up creating jobs to deal with 'undesirables', when they have dealt with
the first lot then end up looking for other targets to persecute ...

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>