[Gllug] Geospatial Data and Local Economic Development

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Wed Apr 26 10:01:53 UTC 2006

Geospatial Data and Local Economic Development
Anyone around here involved in geospatial/GIS/mapping work and using it
as a tool for local economic development in rural and/or urban
communities?

I'm trying to get a handle on how GIS systems (writ broadly) are
relevant and are of value for this sort of activity, rather than for
large corporations.

I'm only just a beginner in GIS area but clearly the advent of useable
open source systems makes it available to small and voluntary sector
organisations and bodies (hurrah). But how are they going to use it?

The function for environmental and nature conservation is obvious - but
how can data be leveraged to encourage and facilitate local communities,
job creation, higher value added work, commerce or business?

I'm working up a project for a county nature group using open source
data and op systems (tho' this is going painful slow) in a voluntary
capacity. But my ignorance is profound still technically in this field.

And we're finding very little on LED and GIS anywhere, with the thought
of extending the reach eventually.

So anyone doing anything or knowing anything please get in touch!
"When the multitude detests a man, inquiry is necessary; when the
multitude likes a man, inquiry is equally necessary."
Confucius, Analects (circa 6th century BC)

Or more pertinently:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Benjamin Franklin
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk