[Gllug] OT - chip & pin

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Apr 3 10:23:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:55:26AM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> I refused to do this on the grounds that the chip'n'pin machine was validated,
> having my pin go over some cable that went where I knew not and then to my
> card was not secure since it is possible that the pin could have been read through
> a tampered cable or something. There was much 'this is what personnel says that I
> must do' from the tesco employee - I paid cash & left saying that I would not buy
> anything from tesco again.
>
> Was I being paranoid ?

Yes and no - 6 weeks ago the cashier could be copying your
numbers/signature anyway, so the risk of disclosure is the similar,
but if that happened and you alerted your card company then you get
a refund.  Now if someone fraudulently uses your PIN it is your
fault.

If you write a sensible letter to the manager of the store
explaining this then they may get proepr terminals.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB