[Gllug] squid - regex for blocklisting

paul paul at thinksolution.net
Mon Apr 3 16:23:33 UTC 2006

Hi everyone

I have been experimenting with a squid proxy and have a question about the
correct method I should use for adding blocklists of url's and domains
that should be blocked.  When I first did this i used this

acl banned url_regex -i "\etc\squid\bannedlist.txt"

It worked fine for a while then as I added more url's it slowly dragged the
server down to a grinding halt. I then searched for the correct way and
found this

acl banned dstdom_regex -i "\etc\squid\bannedlist.txt"

Can anyone give me a succinct explanation of why the two are different and
what implication that has when the list is processed please. Also could you
let me know if there is a better method than using regex to achieve this.
Thanks
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk