[Gllug] OT: unix on windows

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 22:42:33 UTC 2006

On 14/04/06, Simon Morris <mozrat at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I agree with you there. Earlier versions of Notes weren't
> so aesthetically pleasing but versions since 6 look nice enough.

That's putting it mildly! It's looked god-awful. Keybindings were
"non-standard" (at the time and still now), icons where often
incomprehensible, menus and pop-up boxes were indecipherable. It was a
mess.

> As a collaboration platform I think it is actually very good. All of
> the large companies I have worked for have chosen from Exchange,
> Domino or Groupwise, and of these three Notes/Domino makes for a nice
> combination.

Agreed. User interface aside (if that's possible) the underlying
possibilities with Notes/Domino are great. Create a database and in
minutes it's web-enabled with the ability for users to add rich
content (word docs and the like as attachments), and discuss in forum
style with new messages highlighted. I used to really like using that
side of it.

> Domino can do a lot of things that Exchange can't do (Mail file
> replication, synchronisation, one file per user rather than a huge
> store for the whole server, custom agents, debugging) and Groupwise is
> just horrid.

Indeed. In a former life I was a Domino administrator and found the
admin side relatively easy both inside (admin tools) and outside (file
manipulation) Notes itself.

> I've seen less catastrophic incidents with Domino systems than with
> Exchange systems.

I am also fondly reminded of Lotus cc:Mail which pre-dated and
interfaced with Lotus Notes mail. It too was easy to admin.

> Plus there is one client for both Windows and Mac (and soon Linux) and
> the server runs on multiple OS's.

I used Notes 5 under Wine on Linux for about 4 years with very few
(mostly font-based) issues. They always said that a Linux client was
"on the way" but I never believed it.

Cheers,
Al.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk