[Gllug] ssh over GPRS -- slow and hangs alot or am I doing something wrong?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Apr 19 19:11:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:02:54PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> AFAICT the only way to get a proper 3G data connection out of Orange
> is to use their proprietary PCMCIA card, which is Windoze only:
>
> http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/3g_mobile_office_card/detail
>
> Vodafone appears to be the same situation.

The vodafone 3G card isn't windows-only.  It's a little odd but not very
hard to get working under Linux.  It's a pcmcia card that presents
itself as a USB serial interface.  You need to load the usbserial module
with a magic number to make it recognise the serial device but after
that it's like configuring a standard modem.  Quite nostalgic, really.

I have it working under Linux/PPC on a powerbook, so it can't be
anything special.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"