[Gllug] Uh oh, govt attempting to regulate "hacking"

Chris Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 06:23:53 UTC 2006

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 21:49 +0000, Chris Hunter wrote:
>> Paul Cupis wrote:
>>
>>> LINX were saying at their last meeting that they were working with the
>>> government to remove the stupid parts of the leglislation, they seemed
>>> to be fairly confident that the final version will be half reasonable.
>> With this "government"?  Not only are they corrupt, but they're utterly
>> inept.  There's NO chance whatsoever that anyone inside the "government"
>> will have the slightest clue, and will ignore any sane advice given to them.
>

> Why bother to have a rational discussion when you can have a rant, eh?

A good rant on THIS topic makes me feel much better!  I've had a LOT of
government interference in my job recently - none of it to good effect,
and some of it seriously affected by obvious corruption.

As usual, with anything even slightly technical, the government will
call it's favourite "experts" (the ones who give the "right" answers).
This is why EDS are the preferred bidder for every contract, despite
their glaring ineptitude!

NO amount of lobbying, complaining or campaigning will make the
slightest difference, especially when Bill Gates is a regular visitor to
Downing Street.

Many of the tools we all regularly use could be considered "hacking"
applications.  I wrote a little code the other day, and was complemented
on a forum for "a good hack", so emacs is now publicly declared a
"hacking tool".

The fact that our favourite OS is not subject to the predations of the
malware out there. The government lackeys wanting to examine the
contents of your hard disk assume that we must be up to no good, as our
OS is opaque to them!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk