[Gllug] Backup problems

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Apr 28 23:19:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 10:48:31PM +0100, Adrian wrote:
> I cannot get my backup script to work properly...
>
> This is what it says now:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> mt -f /dev/st0 retension
> tar -czvf /dev/st0 / -X /etc/ex-bak.txt
> mt -f /dev/st0 offline
>

> While ex-bak.txt says:
>
> /proc/*

Try

	/proc

instead.  An alternative would be to tell tar to stick to one
filesystem.  Then it would automatically ignore /proc, /sys and the
like.  It would mean that you would need to iterate over a series of
paths to do a full backup (unless you happen to have your entire storage
arranged into one partition).

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill