[Gllug] re: USA / civil liberties etc

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 28 13:38:03 UTC 2006

Jason Clifford wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, t.clarke wrote:
>

>> What ID Cards really do
>>

>There is another likely aspect of this that many people are overlooking -
>if there are any errors in this database (parts of which you will NOT be
>able to gain access to under the various rights of access laws as it will
>also be a state security database) you will be liable to large fines as a
>result and it will be your responsibility to find and correct them.
>
>The government will act as though the database *cannot* be wrong.
>Therefore you must be exactly as descibed.
>
>If you are wrongly listed as earning $income*1.5 you will suddenly find
>yourself taxed accordingly and fined and possibly prosecuted for tax
>evasion.
>
>If you are listed as enquiring into the purchase of certain types of
>materials or communication with certain others you may find yourself
>waking up to the lovely vision (blurred though it may be) of armed police
>and other "security" forces of the state. If you think this is far fetched
>consider the last 2 Acts of Parliament claimed to address terrorism and
>just how wide the powers contained in them are.
>
>If you are listed as being the father of a child in error you may suddenly
>find yourself subject to an attachment of earning by the CSA or their
>equivilent.
>
>If you are accidently confused with someone listed on the sex abuse
>register ...
>
>These are just the most obvious examples. Consider how hard you might find
>it to disprove these and rescue your reputation/life?
>
>There are very good reasons to limit the amount of information the state
>(or anyone, for that matter) can hold. We're already moving further and
>further towards a totalitarian state - albeit a more subtle form than
>those seen in much of europe in the last century (at the moment). If the
>state has sufficient information it will be practically impossible for
>any innocent group targetted by the state to escape.
>
>Jason

Not to mention that the NIR will doubtless be hacked and stolen at some
point, leading to a massive black market in identity theft and fraud.
Should this happen, of course the government will most likely not tell
us about it, meaning that you will have no recourse should your identity
be cloned or used against you.

Gabriel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk