[Gllug] spam etc

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 16:38:51 UTC 2006

I have only ever used Claranet as my ISP and continue
to do so as they give satisfaction.

They operate an effective spam filtering programme
which one can elect to use and which quarantines most
'naughties'.

Daily, I see 200 to 300 emails quarantined - these I
quickly run through and delete, thinking no more about
matters.

Today, I paid attention to the pie-chart and stidied
the daily statistics. I was staggered when I summarised
and applied percentages viz,

Total emails scanned		4,739,936

Spam				4,225,882	89.2%
Clean				  504,683	10.6%
Virus				    9,371	  .2%

Much of my email traffic comes from Mailing Lists (mainly
this one and debian-user) and I seem fortunate.
Today I have received 141 (40.75%)messages into my Inbox
and 205 (59.25%) went into quaratine.

I wonder if 90% of messages being spam is common, for
this is not the figure I see bandied about in the Media.

John.

P.S. I've never changed my email address so I must have
been well harvested over the years.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk