[Gllug] Asterisk

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Apr 4 15:20:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 15:29 +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
[snip]
> Hmm what would I need then to run 44 lines and about the same number
> of IP phones then.... Thinking of setting up just such one system, (If
> its possible and reliable)

Presumably you don't mean you've actually got 44 POTS lines which you
want to terminate in Asterisk - or do you?  If you do then I suppose a
couple of TDM2400P (24 lines each) would do it, but it's not the normal
way of getting 44 lines into an exchange.  An ISDN PRI gives you about
30 circuits IIRC, which would seem more logical.

If they aren't existing lines, then why bother with conventional
telephony at all?  Get 44 numbers allocated by a VoIP provider and a
couple of ADSL connections (2 for redundancy) to bring them in over
IAX2.  Actually, you might need more than 2, depending on how many
simultaneous calls were needed and what upload speed your ADSL provides.

44 IP phones would happily connect to one LAN, but you'd need to do some
careful specification of your server.  The Asterisk book gives some
basic guidelines, but for a system that size I'd get in an expert.
Adrian Kennard at Andrews and Arnold (http://aa.nu) is a telecoms man
and A&A now do VoIP provisioning.

I'm no Asterisk expert, but from my experience so far it certainly seems
to be reliable and you can do some very amusing things with it.  (Pop-up
giving caller-id on your TV screen if the phone rings whilst you're
watching MythTV anyone?)

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk