[Gllug] Logging in iptables and Debian install woes

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 11:36:09 UTC 2006

Tet wrote:
> Problem 1:
*snip*

I dislike iptables too.

> Problem 2:
>
> Ye gods, Debian sucks when it comes to the installer! I haven't tried
> installing Debian in anger for some years, and was shocked at how
> primitive it feels compared to the slick installers found in other
> distributions. I was trying to install Etch on amd64. Can anyone shed
> any light on how I'm meant to get the thing installed onto LVM over
> RAID1?

I assume you mean software RAID1? The partitioner is a little fiddly but
I've done this numerous times quite easily. Create the partitions and
mark them as usable by software RAID. Then set up the RAID devices,
selecting your partitions etc. I think it will rewrite the partition
table at that point. Once these are up, the partitioner restarts and you
should have the RAID "partitions" which you can then select as usable by
LVM. Then create the VGs and LVs and it all "Just Works". They could
simplify the whole process a bit, but you get to have it exactly how you
want it. Maybe a few more default partitioning schemes to choose from
would be nice.

Stephen
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk