[Gllug] VACANCY: System Administrator / Data Architect

Andy Mindel andymindel at wordtracker.com
Tue Apr 11 15:19:37 UTC 2006

Wordtracker.com is an agile company looking for a system administrator to work in North London (Kentish Town).  The hours are flexible but we would expect a minimum of 28hrs per week at £32/hr on a contract basis.

The appointee's core responsibilities would include:

- Simple data mining
- Security upgrades
- Firewalls
- Building & installing RPMs
- Commissioning new servers
- System testing and monitoring
- Simple DBA work
- Troubleshooting
- Maintaining service levels

There is also an increasing need for capacity planning and system and data architecture work. We currently have about 20 servers, mostly Redhat Enterprise ES3 & ES4. Four of these are "live". The others are for data crunching, failover and administration.

In the interview you will need to demonstrate the following skills and experience:

- The ability to drive architecture and work in a team.
- Solid understanding of Unix
- Some ability to code (bash/Perl/Ruby)
- Understanding of networking/distributed computing environments
- Network security
- Experience with a SQL database
- Ability to create RPMs preferred but not essential

Wordtracker is an agile company involved in text mining, social networking and keyword research.

The software development is built around agile practices, a particular influence is eXtreme Programming. This agile attitude extends across the company. As a result the role includes face time with other sysadmins, developers and management. The style is informal (a tie free zone). Most of what we do we haven't done before, so Wordtracker is very much a learning organisation.

If this role is of interest please send your cv to cv at wordtracker.com
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk