[Gllug] OT Spinal injuries and computer working positions

Ian Lewis ian.lewis at dlf.org.uk
Wed Apr 19 15:35:39 UTC 2006

> -----Original Message-----
> From: gllug-bounces at gllug.org.uk
> [mailto:gllug-bounces at gllug.org.uk] On Behalf Of M.Blackmore
> Sent: 19 April 2006 14:37
> To: Greater London Linux User Group
> Subject: [Gllug] OT Spinal injuries and computer working positions

Hi,

You can call the Disabled Living Foundation helpline on 0845 130 9177 between
10am and 4pm during the week. The helpline advisors can give assistance in
finding a wide range of equipment which might be suited to your needs. There
is also an Equipment Demonstration Centre where you can try out various
aids/equipment with the help of a qualified OT.

The website is at http://www.dlf.org.uk and you can track down the factsheets
there which might also provide some pointers.

Cheers,

Ian

--
Ian Lewis
Systems Administrator
Email: ian.lewis at dlf.org.uk

> Anyone else got rather bad spinal injuries? I damaged spinal bones in
> two places in my late teens (building site mishap) and then
> was well and
> truly whiplashed (ooh err, but not like that, alas).
>
> Now, at 50, I have a lot of trouble indeed with scar tissue
> and fibrotic
> muscles and trapped nerves. Painful and debilitating, sleep
> disruptive,
> and make sitting at a normal desk for any time difficult.
> There are only
> so many painkillers one can take a day and one has to take
> days off (I'm
> on opiates pretty well on demand) to avoid addiction.
>
> Acupunture and professional therapy massage help but only so
> much money
> available now I'm unable to earn an income :-(
>
> To try and get going again, I've been thinking of ideas ranging from
> going "Japanese" on the floor with cushions (cross legged relieves the
> muscle tension for a while but has its own problems) or a form of
> reclining chair.
>
> The problem with both is how to position a screen and get some sort of
> an input device into the right place to use (I'm a fast touchtypist).
>
> What sort of solutions have people come up with or seen others do?
>
> This is getting to be a truly disabling problem and I'm unable to do
> much nowadays :-( except for bursts of about 15 minutes at a time once
> or so an hour.
>
> Nasty.
>
> Perhaps we should form a sub-species - Brokeback Penguins. Or perhaps
> that could be misinterpreted... not that I've any problem
> with anyone's
> proclivities of course, but we don't want to leave any hostages to
> Microsoft FUD do we? Perhaps I'd better stop this politically
> incorrect
> drift right here...
>
> See y'all
>
> Malcolm
> --
> "When the multitude detests a man, inquiry is necessary; when the
> multitude likes a man, inquiry is equally necessary."
> Confucius, Analects (circa 6th century BC)
>
> Or more pertinently:
> "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
> Benjamin Franklin
> --

Mail leaving and entering the Disabled Living Foundation is scanned for known viruses.
Ensure your own virus definitions are up to date to reduce the chances of infection.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk