[Gllug] cdrom writing

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 12:27:41 UTC 2006

On 02/04/06, Stuart Sears <stuart at sjsears.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 02 April 2006 18:53, Peter Childs wrote:
> <snip>
> > cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus
> Actually that works perfectly fine for me. it seems a little odd that it
> doesn't for you. Admittedly I am running these commands on an FC4 box,
> but my only debian box doesn't have any CD drives at all.
>
> okay, you know that your CD writer is /dev/hdc
> try
> cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -checkdrive
>
> does this work?

Yes that works better of and as a side point

cdrecord -checkdrive
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2005
Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.15-1-k7
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
devname: '/dev/cdrom'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'debian-0.8debian2'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg
(debian-0.8debian2 '@(#)scsitransp.c      1.91 04/06/17 Copyright
1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identifikation : 'RW/DVD GCC-4120B'
Revision       : '2.01'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R

And thats with NO changes to /dev/cdrecord/cdrecord :) So this says
there is no problem with the settings in that file.

I spose the heart of the question is why does k3b freeze my computer
while detecting hard drives.

Peter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk