[Gllug] Source for quality 24/7-duty cycle SATA drives?

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Wed Apr 12 18:09:06 UTC 2006

On 12 Apr 2006, at 17:56, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> I've recently had three Maxtor 80 Gb SATA drives fail - all
> different batch
> numbers, all used for different things - all failed at about 14
> months of
> light use.  I will not buy that rubbish again!

If we're talking about particular brands being more reliable than
others, then Maxtor would definately be on my list of avoidables
(although I have a OneTouch firewire drive which has been good to me
so far).

Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives have made me very queasy at one point
with the number of failures encountered, but they're much better
now.  Likewise of IBM Desktar - never had I encountered such a bad
brand before.  Since Hitachi took over, things seem to be much better.

Western Digital seems to have come up trumps on my list over the
years - never had a single problem with any of their drives despite
the hard work I've had to put them through.

M.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk