[Gllug] Chinese Virus Warning?

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 07:51:44 UTC 2006

On 4/6/06, Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> It's really easy to cause a panic like this amongst most computer users - a
> fairly credible e-mail, warning about something that "anti-virus programs
> miss", and directing the recipient to something that he won't understand but
> can find.

True - although in this case there was no recommended action - the
client simply approached me and said he had been informed of this risk
and asked me if I had any further information and what steps if any,
and if necessary, were being taken.

> Apparently there have been variants of these hoaxes for some time, some of
> which can cripple (even more) Windows!

Sure.  I don't buy that this is a hoax, though.  This was not the sort
of  toy email "Don't use google on the 13th or you'll get the wibbler
virus - pass it on", or even the more clever calculated examples
you've provided.  This was a professional warning issued to a
professional IT manager, approaching a professional IT services
company asking for information.  On the basis of that I thought I'd
ask my fellow IT professionals if they'd heard anything.  Turns out
they haven't, so I can go back to my client and say that I've not
heard of anyone else who has received this information, but that we
are being diligent as usual... blah blah...

> Chris

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk