[Gllug] 4G Memory Restriction

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 10:21:44 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Anthony Newman <anthony.newman at uk.clara.net> wrote:
> Steve Nelson wrote:
> >
> > """4GB is the maximum any OS can address in 32-bits.
>
> 4GB is the maximum a processor with a non-multiplexed address bus with a
> width of 32 bits can address. The 32-bitness of the processor or OS is
> related to the width of the data bus. The two are not related.

Sorry which two are not related? The OS and the Processor - sorry if
I;m being slow here!

The width of the data bus restricts the addressable memory size, as I
understand it.  Is that correct?  Therefore regardless of OS, if you
have a 32 bit machine, you'll only ever be able to address 4G of
memory at a time?

What about the other way round?  Suppose I have a 32 bit userland
running on a 64 bit processor?  Is the restriction there still because
the userland is coded only to handle 32 bit words?

> Ant

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk