[Gllug] Re: Swap Restrictions

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 07:05:50 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Steve Nelson <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was always under the impression that on x86 architecture there is a
> 2G limit of size of swap areas.

A colleague has pointed me to the following article in redhat magazine:

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/017mar06/departments/tips_tricks/
(right at the bottom)

It states:

"""In Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and above, the mkswap command allows
the creation of a swap partition of a larger size than 2GB."""

Does anyone know is this is due to a newer version of mkswap? Or is
this a Redhat patch?

My mkswap(8) man page is dated 1999, and the writer of the article
states that documentation is being updated.

I have been able to make >2G swap partitions on RHAS 3, although on
vmware ESX 2.0 I can't.  The difference seems to be that vmware is
running:

# rpm -q util-linux
util-linux-2.11n-12.7.3

Redhat box is running:

# rpm -q util-linux
util-linux-2.11y-31.11

This suggests that vmware is using an old version:

[root at s3td-a1]/local# rpm -qiv util-linux | grep -Ei "build date|packager"
Release     : 12.7.3                        Build Date: Mon 24 Jun
2002 03:30:23 PM BST
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>

So what happened to mkswap in that time?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk