[Gllug] HELP Network problem

Ben Whyte ben at whyte-systems.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 09:41:20 UTC 2006

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Ben Whyte wrote:
>> However i can not bring up my network card as it complains that the
>> device
>> doesnt exist despite the module inserting correctly.
>
> Which network card is it? What appears at the end of "dmesg" when you
> type "modprobe  <drivername>"?

The card that doesnt work is an onboard gig ethernet card.

The chipset is an IP1000a.  The driver for which I have downloaded and
then this morning after rebooting into the kernel rebuilt against the
headers.

when I insert the module /var/messages contains

Apr 22 10:37:23 thor kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:01.0[A] -> GSI
16 (level, low) -> IRQ 193
Apr 22 10:37:23 thor kernel: IC PLUS IP1000 1000/100/10 based NIC found.
Apr 22 10:37:23 thor kernel: Bus 1 Slot 1
Apr 22 10:37:23 thor kernel: Ethernet device registered as: eth2

/var/log/dmesg has nothing extra added to it

Its eth2 because eth0 is my loopback as the machine claims lo doesnt exist

and eth1 is an old pci card i found lying around.

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk