[Gllug] ADSL on BT phone wires

Ryland, Peter peter.ryland at squaregain.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 07:56:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 22:29 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 Aug 2006 13:34, Andy Farnsworth wrote:
>
> > Interestingly enough, I was having telephone problems last month (i.e.
> > PSTN line didn't work and Internet Connection didn't work) however, my
> > DSL modem was telling me that it had successfully Synced with the DSL
> > signal on the line.  If I unhooked the line, it told me no signal and
> > when I reconnnected it, it indicated that the signal was back.  When BT
> > finally fixed it, they indicated that one wire of my pair had broken,
> > but the other wire was intact.  The tech then indicated that since the
> > DSL modem has it's own ground, one wire is all that was necessary for
> > the DSL rather than two.  Anyone know if this is just some tech making
> > it up as he went along or what?
>
> The answer is (alas) "it depends".  You might be close enough to the exchange
> so that the loss via the ground is low enough to provide one half of the
> circuit.  It would be high resistance, but transmission might be possible.

Loss via ground?!  It's an almost perfect conductor.  Resistance is
inversely proportional to cross-sectional area, and the earth's is
enough to guarantee that it performs better than copper wire.

Earth: ~0.00005 ohms/m
Wire:  ~0.01 ohms/m (for 2mm-thick copper wire)

Pete

This communication is confidential and is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not that person you are not permitted to make use of
the information and you are requested to notify
postmaster at squaregain.co.uk immediately that you have
received it and then destroy the copy in your possession.
Squaregain Ltd is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and is a member of the LSE.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk