[Gllug] Linux ntp talking to MS Windows

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 09:42:46 UTC 2006

> >    I understood that ntp can only nudge the time at a low rate, and is
> > unable to cope with the fast drift that could occur with a dead battery
> > hanging on the chip.
>
>This is true, but I think it's policy as opposed to ability. It's seen
>as bad to step the time by too large a chunk at once, so ntpd will
>gradually align the system clock with the actual time. If you use
>ntpdate however, it'll just jump it directly to the current time.

I remember from when I used to have to keep a cluster of boxes in sync the
ntpdate command will force an immediate sync. I used to run ntpdate every
few months when our main application was down, I think it's quite sensible
that ntpd does micro-adjustments as it could play havoc with time dependant
code!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk