[Gllug] OT - Windows backup problem.

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 18:31:21 UTC 2006

paul at ma1.se wrote:

> Why M$ hide it away from XP Home users I don't know, but seeing as I run
> XP on a Linux machine running VMWare Workstation its just easier to
> backup the disk "image."

Yes, that's what I do too when I *need* XP. At work we have some
recalcitrant apps which don't even work properly in wine. I back up all
VMware guests this way.

> Anyway isn't that how Windows ought to be run, as a VM under Linux? ;o)

Yes, if it has to be run at all:)

Having said that, I used my virtual XP today to take a TSM archive of a
share on an NT server which didn't have TSM or any remote access
facility installed (it seems remote desktop only came in at 2000?)
because I couldn't be arsed to go to the machine room, find the server
and stand at it for ages. This took several hours to back up 2GB which
it shouldn't have done, even allowing for going over the network twice.
I don't know if the problem was using VMware or some issue with the
server though. I've not seen performance problems with VMware's
networking before; although the virtual NIC is a "pcnet32" which is 10Mb
in real life, it actually goes a good deal faster than this.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk