[Gllug] Small form factor cases

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 19:16:27 UTC 2006

I'd like to get hold of a small case to build a home NAS device. I was
thinking in terms of a Mini-ITX board, with the ability to boot from a
Compact flash card so I can put a small OS image on that, and not need
to use any of the hard disks for the system. Catch is I'd like a small
case that provides 3 or preferably 4 exposed 5.25" drive bays. The
closest I've found is the Morex Venus 669 - you can see it half way down
this page - http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=3.

Does any such beast exist? I'm willing to consider other form factor
motherboards, but I'm looking for something I can put a minimum of 4
hard disks in, and sit in a corner, so it has to be quiet as well. I'm
considering these hot swap bays:-

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=110_136&products_id=1023

So I could get 6 hot swap disks in a case if I could find one with 4
exposed 5.25" bays, which could give me up to about 3 Tb of highly
redundant storage.

Any ideas appreciated....

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk