[Gllug] Stripping whitespace in bash script

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Aug 13 13:12:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 12:00:52PM +0100, Tethys wrote:
> Richard Jones writes:
> >Rich. (OCaml, of course)
>
> Hmmm. I was put off by the typing. I understand it's is supposedly
> one of its strengths, but I just found the lack of automatic type
> promotion, and absence of polymorphic arithmetic operators to be
> too cumbersome and annoying. Minor niggles, perhaps, but they're
> enough to make me look elsewhere.

Well, there is kind of a reason for this.  Implicit conversion is an
expensive operation which most languages normally hide.  This is a
language designed for high performance computing, so that sort of
thing is generally frowned upon ...

Never used Erland, but string handling in OCaml is virtually as good
as it is in Perl.  In some ways better.  Type-checked regular
expressions anyone?  http://martin.jambon.free.fr/micmatch-howto.html

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.