[Gllug] Persuading Etch to use the right (configured) paper size

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Aug 2 09:36:29 UTC 2006

I've just upgraded a couple of workstations to Etch and now they refuse
to use the configured (A4) paper size of my printers.  They keep
defaulting to Letter instead.  It seems to be a system setting rather
than an application setting, and it applies to all applications which
use the Gnome print dialogue.

My printers are attached to a CUPS server (running Sarge) and are all
configured for A4 paper.  My Etch workstations have "a4"
in /etc/papersize but always offer "Letter" as the default paper size
when I go to print.

To take a typical example, if I try to print from Firefox I get each
printer listed twice in the list of available printers - like this:

lp@:64
fax@:64
CUPS/lp
CUPS/fax

If I choose one of the "@:64" options (what are these?) then whatever
size of paper I choose the print job is rejected with "There was a
problem printing because the paper size you specified is not supported
by your printer".

If I choose the "CUPS/" ones then the paper size always defaults to
"Letter" instead of the configured "A4" and I have to remember to change
it before I hit print.

Other applications which use the pure Gnome print dialogue (e.g.
Evolution or the PDF viewer) list the printers only once, but still
default to Letter size paper.

Anyone any idea where this bad setting is stored?  Or indeed, what
package is responsible for this component so I can report it as a bug in
Etch?

TIA,
John

--
John Winters, Wallingford, Oxon, England
i = (free (NULL); i++);

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk