[Gllug] Linux ntp talking to MS Windows

Andre Newman gllug at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Aug 4 13:47:12 UTC 2006

> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 02:32:31PM +0100, Andre Newman wrote:
>
>> We switched everything around so the Windows Servers synched from the
>> linux boxes in the DMZ, problem fixed. I discovered along the way that
>> switching off the MS ntp and installing an oss ntpd also worked very
>> well
>> but the Windows people didn't like that solution!
>
> Didn't like it because:
>
> a) it was difficult/awkward for them - like clicking on a menu that they
> didn't normally visit
> b) it shows MS Windows as not being perfect
>
> Which one, I suspect that you meant (b).

Must have been b) because configuring ntp properly on Windows server 2003
involves various configuration files and registry tweaks and the OSS one
comes with a setup wizardy thing.

Most Windows admin's I've met seem almost allergic to anything not written
by MS, maybe keeping control of the MS hairball keeps them busy enough
that they just can't deal with anything else? Or maybe their brains get
bent to the MS way & to them everything else just seems broken >;-)

Andre
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk